- A veteran of 31 years in law enforcement, John started his career with the Corona Police Department. He attended the FBI National Academy and rose through the ranks of the California Highway Patrol to become commander of its Indio Station.
- John served as a a past president of both the United Way of the Desert and Indio Rotary, John also served as volunteer fire captain with the Sunset-Whitney Fire Department.
- Through his service on the Desert Sands School Board, John worked with parents, teachers and educators to improve our schools.
- After retiring from the Highway Patrol, Coachella Valley residents elected John to represent them in the State Legislature.
- He was known for his ability to reach across the aisle to improve public safety, transportation and education.
- John was successful in having 40 pieces of legislation signed into law, including the landmark “Aryanna’s Law” to protect children in daycare centers.
- He was honored as “Legislator of the Year” by the California School Boards Association, the California Narcotics Officers' Association and the Chief Probation Officers of California.
- Having participated in language immersion programs in Mexico and Costa Rica, his bilingual skills are invaluable to his work in Riverside County’s largest and most diverse district.
- John and his wife, Sheryl, married in 1978. They are committed parishioners of Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic Church. They have a daughter, Sarah, and son, Benjamin, and a beautiful granddaughter, Abrielle Benoit.